fredag 13 februari 2009

About Obama, a hero or an enabler?

As I have been following the debate and excitement around the inauguration speech of Obama I am asking myself if we are having the right expectations on him as a person, leader and president. I am currently reading the book, “letters to my father” by Obama. Obama is a personal inspiration for me and I do believe it is hard to imagine what his presidency can do for the world. There is a burning need in the world for his leadership but are we expecting Obama to save us, or activate us? What I admire with Obama is that he has managed to connect people around a vision larger than us. Lets say he has made us connect around an opportunity of living in a world in harmony with all aspects of “its” personality. A world where the natural and the financial systems are cured from its current fever, poverty is reduced and more people are empowered and enabled to be great. A healthy world with healthy people where no one has to loose for another to win, where the “whole is greater than the sum of the parts”. (Obama during the election campaign)– this dream is incredible. Now, the question is, will Obama’s presidency make this happen? It could. But for which reason? Will Obama heal the world in a heroic manner, or does it require the awakening of the leader within us? As I am writing I recognize that my language is appearing a bit arrogant, that is not my purpose. It is just that whenever I am having a conversation about Obama I am always leaving it with a bittersweet aftertaste. At one hand I am happy and inspired that the people are appreciating the thoughts and opinions of a person I personally find incredibly inspiring, on the other hand I feel disappointed because I feel that Obama has somehow been misunderstood. Obama is not there to do the work for us, but hopefully empower us to be great!

I believe there is a shift in the world. My dear friend Jarda usually refers to this as a “global movement” where individuals engage in the co-creation of a new future, which is “not dependent on where we are today…” What Obama can enable is for this movement to accelerate, however, I do not believe he is the hero, that will make it happen. I believe a paradigm shift has already taken place, from heroic, “one man”, leadership to a more co-creative leadership. The role of the leader becomes to enable an environment where leaders can thrive. As opposed to dictate how followers should behave and act, the role of the leader becomes as a facilitator. Thus, let us capitalize on a paradigm shift, which in parts of the world already have taken place, cultivate that movement and see the role of Obama as an enabler for people to connect around similarities, learn from each others differences and allowing more people to be great. The victory of Obama must not bring us back in time, but must active the leader within us to take actions larger than ourselves. To conclude, Obama is not the hero appearing in the world, but he is inviting the people, a generation, needing to be great, to be great. Thus, as opposed to be a hero that will change the world, Obama is an enabler of people, individuals, you and me to be great so that we together can change the world.

Obama, Obama, Obama!!!! Now I feel happy screaming his name again, relieved after having written my thoughts on his presidency. Supporting Obama from my perspective means to take responsibility beyond myself and enable as many as possible in my surrounding to be great.

2 kommentarer:

  1. You have explicitly captured what I believe a lot of people, including myself, implicitly believe! Obama inspires a vision of leadership for collaboration. His rhetoric speaks of "we" of "us" of "unity". It does not speak of "I" or "me".
    We live in the new age of collaboration, a new era where we have come to the realisation that no one person can ever be as smart as every person. That no one person can every achieve as much as several others.
    If we come together we can achieve greater heights than if we go alone.
    Obama's campaign changed forever the way politicians will engage the masses. Without getting into the intrinsic details, he inspired a vision that everyone could contribute to success. That everyone's voice would be listened to, from the Washington Lobbyist and Wall Street Fat Cat to middle American factory worker and the ethnic minority.
    His success despite the overwhelming odds gave belief to every American, that (s)he could achieve whatever sights (s)he had set before him/her.
    But is that not the role of a hero?
    To inspire the leadership to drive the vehicle forward amidst adversity by uniting and inspiring each passenger.
    Much like the pilot that averted danger by landing the distressed plane safely in the Hudson. Despite his heroic efforts, danger was not completely evaded. Everybody aboard the plane needed to pull together to get out of the plane safely and pull together to get through that tribulation.
    His heroic efforts, analagous to Obama's, can only take the passengers so far. In order to fulfill success, people must unite together and ignite the hero within them.
    Karol

    SvaraRadera
  2. Karol, thank you so much for enriching this post with your thoughts. I can just agree and to build on what you said it is maybe the way we understand the term hero, which needs to be redefined. As I understand your definition, which I now, agree with, the role of the hero is the person who inspires a vision of leadership for collaboration. A person who speaks of "we" of "us" of "unity". A person who does not speak of "I" or "me". A person who recognize that we live in the new age of collaboration, a new era where we have come to the realisation that no one person can ever be as smart as every person. That no one person can every achieve as much as several others. A person which helps more people realize that if we come together we can achieve greater heights than if we go alone. From this perspective, I guess the post should have been called, Obama, a heor and an enabler.
    Best
    Emanuel

    SvaraRadera