torsdag 19 februari 2009

About starting School in Spanish, re-connecting to Buenos Aires, Tango and transportation!

So, a few days have passed and some of the dominating thoughts are around the beauty and the pain of Buenos Aires, the challenge of studying in Spanish and the phenomena Tango.

Without being entirely sure if I understood the history of Tango correctly, Tango, as I understood it based on my current level of Spanish, origins from Argentina. Influenced by “El Lunfardo”, the language, Italians and many different cultures the dance was borne here to later disappear from Argentina. The components of language, “amor” and cultures got expressed in a dance, which was considered to “vulgar” to be respected in Argentina. Thus, it disappeared to France and other European countries to later return and be super popular again here in Argentina. It is really incredible to view the beauty of the dance. People are dancing it everywhere and yesterday I appeared on a tango class. Divided by the feeling of being nervous and excited for trying it prior, I have to conclude after, that it is a challenge, however, looks harder than it is and definitely easier than salsa, at least on the beginner level. What amaze me is how it connects people to enjoy, perform and learn around an expression which carries such an interesting history. Understanding the history of Tango, other types of expressions amazes me as well, such as art, other dances, sculptures, and music. All these are just different types of expressions of something which more often than seldom carries a great dept which it becomes interesting to understand. I know, not rocket science, but a bit of a realization these last few days.

Buenos Aires got 37 000 taxi cars!!!! The cost of getting around here is very affordable. I travel by bus, metro and taxi. The people working with getting people around typically work 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. If they can afford it they get max 2 weeks vacation annually. However, the infrastructure is very ineffective. I have not yet decided what I think about this, however, something happens within me every time I am listing to the stories of the taxi and bus drivers, recognizing that the service they provide works really bad because of the traffic situation, however, they are dedicating their lives to it. Having touched upon the humanitarian issue, I leaving out the issue of the pollution it is causing due to old cars and buses and the amounts of these. I have the feeling that this will be a recurrent theme because it is somehow bothering me quite a bit.

Initiating on a rather critical note about the city, I must continue sharing the gratitude I feel getting to know and live here. Buenos Aires is a mix of a top modern western city and a poor Latin city. It never sleeps for the good and the bad, but the people here are really extraordinary nice. Seeing these both sides of life, all the time, every day, creates a feeling of gratitude for what I have, but also a feeling of frustration, not being able to do more for the prosperity of Argentina.

I have also started school at Universidad Di Tella. Tomorrow I am about to enjoy my first presentation in Spanish. I shall look forward to that. Generally, the learning of the Spanish has accelerated, but I am still challenged and that is super exciting! I am about to become legal in this country and it is almost, almost, that I have enjoyed organizing the practical details around my stay here because it is yet an opportunity to learn the language!

Tonight, Louise, a very dear friend of mine and the sister to the girl I love is arriving - I am looking forward to that!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar