onsdag 1 april 2009

About South America,

My goal was to cross South America by bus, from Buenos Aires to Bogota in about 15 days. As I am writing this, it sound all planned out, but it wasn't, though, as I started my journey, the more I traveled, the more curious I became, and from there, the goal felt cristal clear, as it was there all the time. Yesterday, after having been traveling by bus from Argentina, through Brazil, Bolivia and Peru, I had to catch a flight to arrive here in Bogota in time, thus, I didn't managed to achieve my goal, but that doesn't matter now, because the trip has given me more than I could have ever imagined. Yesterday I had to witness Colombia losing against Venezuela in Football and I also allowed some time and space to digest this incredible travel up to here. As I am writing this post, I am not sure how this trip have impacted me. Partly because it is not over, but mainly because the more I experience the more questions I have, but also the more challenged I am on some of my fundamental beliefs about the world.

At times I have been sitting alone, watching the Andes, trying to listen to the silence and just be there to inhale all the beauty there is, many times I have got tears in my eyes, which has been the way for my body to express something which can not be expressed in words or in thought, just in tears. Throughout the journey I have met incredible people, the Goldman guy, how quited his job to find meaning, the architect who is in search for meaning before starting a new era of his life, the PHD couple from Turkey, UK and Barcelona who assumed responsibility for me to be amazed by the Incas, the girls who took my to the hostel in Cusco when all I needed was some food and a bed, the 7 Bolivians who took me from Santa Cruz to La Paz, these are few of the people that I have used to channel some of these impressions, but also experience some of this beauty. I wanted to start this post be articulating the beauty, simply because I believe the beauty is the dominating expression from this trip. However, or but, or hey, that's not all there is.

In one of the cities I visited, three blocks from the governmental building is a prison. The prison is famous amongst tourists because these bribes the polices to be let in to witness how the prisoners have taken over the prison, turned it in to a coca factory to live there with their families by utilizing a corrupt system. Political leaders in some of these countries are expressing their background and excellence by sharing how they have reached to this position without any education. More or less in all these cities I have experienced the worst pollution I have ever experienced in the 35+ countries I have visited, the poverty is always around the corner and so are the crimes. I have so many friends from these countries, some, which are the brightest people and thought leaders that I know, the common denominator, they are not living in their country of origin. I am not putting any responsibilities on on my friends to move back to their home and improve the state of their country, but by knowing these, I know there is hope for development and change. The tricky part, it needs to be a development within all aspect of our society and currently, the world lack role modeling such development, even though it is emerging. Without exhausting examples which are causing some of my questions, I am curious to understand how this experience is impacting me as a person and I am keen to be discussing with the people who have put in thought to some of these questions. It is clear that Europe has played an historical role, the influence of the US is obvious, but, how can these influences (not only bad) be forgiven and forgotten and seen as a start for something new? How can the beauty, just be beauty without the but. I am aware that I come out quite naive as I am writing this, but for know, I'd like to use this naive window to keep asking questions around these things I am not yet ready to comprehend.

Before I started this trip and received some words of wisdom from a dear friend, and even though she doesn't know it, a mentor of mine, the message was clear, go with the flow and enjoy the experience. The nature of the experience so far has been quite intense, thus, it hasn't been too challenging to stay present. But what I am discovering as I am travelling is that the nature makes me calm and peaceful and the cities makes me think. this in itself is not a new discovery, but it has been a super clear realization the last few weeks. As soon as I have time to spare, I escape to experience nature and just enjoy walks and silence.

So, as I mentioned above, I am in Bogota, Colombia. I am very excited to meet up with a few friends, although I am concluding that most of them are not here, but in general I am very excited to get to know the country and the people. I will also for the first time after becoming an AIESEC Alumni attend an AIESEC meeting here. I am very happy that I accepted to chair the conference because after having travelled throughout South America in this particular way I have again re-realized the need, relevance and role of AIESEC, thus getting the opportunity to channel some of that energy is something I am looking forward to.

Until next time
Emanuel

1 kommentar:

  1. This is a beautiful and deep expression of a wonderful journey. Thank you for sharing it. I'm sure it will color your world forever.

    SvaraRadera